How about feeling fresh and vibrant? How about being super chill and good to yourself? How about some food on your face? Yes? I am here to grant your wishes my lovely mermaid/merman.
This face mask is adapted from the blog Kale & Caramel by Lily Diamond. If you don't know about her, you must must must go check out her site. Sometimes there are things we can't control in life. By sometimes I mean most times. Take this moment right now. I am sitting in a cafe trying to write something profoundly zen to pair with this face mask. Instead this place is filled with eleventy thousand kids who are doing, but not limited to, the following things: * Boy with rainbow striped pants (rocking them btw)– wildly smashing toys on the ground while roaring. * Kid in the designer clothes– screaming bloody murder because his expensive sweater feels scratchy on his skin but his mom says it's too cold to take off so he's sh*t out of luck. * Kid with a bowl haircut, crusty nose and wet lips– loudly playing a piano-kazoo hybrid whilst staring into people's eyes. I gave him a stern look like, “Stop that. It's annoying". He just glared at me even harder and continued playing but began swinging his head back and forth as if taunting me. I tried to outstare him but apparently he doesn't require the need to blink. He may be a real-life demon and now I've just become his nemesis. Maybe he has come to this cafe to put us under his piano-kazoo spell and then suck our souls out through his slobbery mouth. His mom is saying, “shhhhh shhhh honey" although we all know she's the one who allowed him to bring his most annoying toy into the usually quiet coffee shop. That or she's also under is his satanic spell so maybe she didn't have a choice. * Blonde cherub with pigtails– “mummy. mummy. mummy. Mummy. Mummy! MUMMY! MUMMY. MUUUUUUUMMMYYYY!" Parents are skilled in the fine art that is tuning out their own children. And with good reason, their insanity would be certain without it. Unfortunately the rest of us don't have that skill. Instead my body involuntarily convulses when kids scream.
It's a madhouse in here right now. And what seemed like an actual hell in the first few minutes has become more of an entertaining movie with a wide range of emotions. I had to give myself a few minutes to accept that this is where I am right now and to embrace it. Children are the best teachers of patience, a skill I'm always working on. So thank you? Except for that piano-kazoo kid. He is the devil reincarnate.
Shout out to all moms. I love you. You are angels. You are strong and vulnerable. You are tolerant and giving. You are loving and nurturing. You are the sun and and the moon. You clean up vomit and touch other people's poop. You keep smiling. You don't sleep a full night for years. You are keeping humans alive since the dawn of time. You are boss ass bitches and you deserve a break. Actually you deserve one million breaks. Welcome this simple but transformative face mask into your life and take a minute, (or ninety) if you can.
I've decided to give myself a weekly spa night where I relax, take care of myself and set my mind and body up for the week from a calm and grounded place. Here are some ideas to give yourself a soothing night of relaxation and self love. (Maybe some of these sound too granola for you and that's cool. Just do whatever you know that helps you relax and take a few moments to yourself.)
- Light candles to create a peaceful glow.
- Put on relaxing music. Whatever chill vibe strikes you: instrumental jazz hip hop, Bob Dylan, classical, nature sounds, meditation + spa-like music etc.
- Make a detoxifying drink. Herbal tea, infused water, kombucha, switchel, golden milk, chicory almond milk latte, fresh pressed juice, smoothie.
- Burn some relaxing essential oils, incense, sage etc.
- Apply a face mask. This one feels soooo good on your skin and gives a glowing look and fresh feeling afterwards. It's very detoxifying and great for blemishes because of the antibacterial properties in honey and all the vitamins and minerals in spirulina. Check out more info about the benefits at the bottom of the post!
- Cucumbers or steeped + cooled chamomile tea bags on your eyes.
- Skin brushing. I'm obsessed with skin brushing right now guys. It's so good for you and it's making my skin feel incredible. It stimulates your lymphatic system which will boost your immunity by draining toxins from your body and keeps things moving. It exfoliates and is said to increase skin circulation and reduce cellulite. My brush (photo below) cost $12 and worth every penny. Read about the how to's of skin brushing here.
- Read a book.
- Meditate. Omg guys! I found the best meditation app awhile back called Insight Timer. There are endless guided meditations for everything under the sun (sleep, anxiety, confidence, pain, relationships, chakras etc). You can do as little as a few minutes which works wonders for the mind, especially on a regular basis.
- Take a hot shower. You could also do a contrast shower (alternating between hot and cold) for increased immune system benefits.
- Lotion up with a body butter or oil.
- Journal. Take some time to write out anything that feels stuck lately, what you're moving forward with, ideas, fun plans to come, self reflections, or maybe just stream of consciousness or doodling. If you want to embrace your crunchy side, do a moon phase focused entry.
- Colouring book
- Tarot cards
Now go relax my beautiful unicorns!
One more thing. Let's take a lesson from badass ladies like mothers and be a boss ass bitch. (click that link. You know you wanna...)
MERMAID FACE MASK
Raw Honey: Anti bacterial (good for acne/pimples and cleansing pores), anti viral, antioxidants (good for anti aging treatments), vitamins, a natural preservative.
Spirulina: High concentration of vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants, helps eliminate toxins from the skin, anti aging properties from vitamin e, selenium + tyrosine.
Banana: Moisturizing + hydrating from potassium, nutrients that support skin health (vitamin e + c), a "natural botox"–wrinkle reducing nutrients and helps fade dark spots on skin.
inspiration: The desire to use spirulina in another way besides downing a shot or turning a delicious smoothie into a bottom feeder's delight.
the feels: soft + cooling
might like if you're into: The Little Mermaid, food fights, reducing stress, face painting, sea monsters.
- one tablespoon raw honey (raw honey isn't processed so it keeps all the vitamins, antioxidants and nutrients that are amazing for the skin.)
- one tablespoon spirulina
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Mix honey and spirulina together in a little bowl until combined. Add banana and mix all together. It may be lumpy depending how ripe your banana and that's okay. Put it in the blender for a minute if you want it smoother. Wash face to make sure it's clean. Paint on face mask with a brush or smear it on with your hand. Leave on for 20 to 30 minutes. Wash off with warm water in the shower or with wash cloth. Apply face serum or moisturizer for extra hydration.